One Week Getaway to Piraiba Lodge
$490 per person
The One Week Getaway to Piraiba Lodge, Iwokrama Canopy Walkway and Lethem features the unique landscape of the Southern and Central Regions of Guyana, with its tropical rainforest, wetlands and Savannahs. It entails 4*4 driving, hiking, canoeing, fishing and experiencing the Amerindian way of life.
Download and print -:- One Week Getaway to Piraiba Lodge, Iwokrama Canopy Walkway and Lethem Itinerary.
Minimum Group Size -:- 6 Persons.
- All transportation and tours
- All accommodation
- Services of English speaking guides – please note that you will have a different guide in each place on the itinerary, rather than the same guide throughout the trip
- Meals as listed (B – Breakfast, L – Lunch, D – Dinner)
- Entrance fees for sites listed as part of the itinerary
- International flights
- Any airport taxes
- Travel Insurance
- Drinks- except as stated on the Itinerary
Day 1: Georgetown to Iwokrama and Piraiba Lodge
Depart Georgetown by vehicle at 07.00 hours along the Linden to Lethem Trail-Experience the adventure of traveling thru Guyana’s Hinterland with stops at Peter & Ruth Restaurant, 58 miles, Mabura unto the Essequibo River Crossing at Kurupukari. Crossing is by Barge and we arrive at the Iwokrama Rainforest Reserve and continue to Fairview Amerindian Village where our Indigenous Guides will take you by motorized boat up the Essequibo River to Piraiba lodge. This evening enjoy Caiman Spotting and other nocturnal creatures. Overnight Piraiba Lodge (D).
Day 2: Enjoy a Full day at Piraiba Lodge
This morning enjoy a river tour further up the Essequibo, amidst lots of birds and wildlife. Here you will get a chance to catch one of the many species of fish, most likely Peacock Bass or Lukanani and the Black Pirana. Return to the Lodge for lunch and a siesta. In the afternoon as the sun cools, take a walk thru one of our nature trails, paddle slowly canoeing in and around the many islands, swimming, or just relaxing on the sand banks. Tonight enjoy an open air cook out, Bar B Que – maybe your earlier catch and free rum punch. Overnight Piraiba Lodge (BLD).
Day 3: Iwokrama Canopy Walkway and Lethem
After breakfast, return to Fairview Village and continue by vehicle thru the Iwokrama Rainforest Reserve to the Iwokrama Canopy Walkway. The walkway has four suspension bridges leading to three platforms, the highest of which extends 30 metres above the forest floor and provides a good opportunity to see lots of bird. From this tree top vantage you can sometimes see Red Howler Monkeys and Black Spider Monkeys. Continue along the foothills of the Pakarama Mountains and thru the Rupununi Savannahs onto Lethem. Free afternoon to self-explore one of our most recent township. Overnight Hotel Toucann –(B).
Day 4: Kanuku Mountains and Kumu Falls
After breakfast, depart by vehicle for appx 30 minutes to the Kumu Amerindian Village and onto the foothills of the Kanuku Mountains for short hike up the Kanuku Mountains and return for a refreshing dip at Kumu falls. Enjoy outdoor cooking, roasted tabaqui fish, locally prepared Amerindian dish and beverages. After a fulfilling day return to Lethem. Overnight AG Hotel Toucanna (BL).
Day 5: Return by Bus to Georgetown
Depart Lethem at 07.00 hrs by bus with stops at Rock View Oasis Restaurant and continue to Georgetown, estimated arrival in Georgetown 20.00 hrs.
Standard Check List-All may not be applicable
- Broad rim or peaked sun hat.
- Lightweight, quick dry, light colored long pants and shirts
- Lightweight socks that dry quickly.
- Shorts, bathing suit, T-shirts (ideally light color cotton)
- Slippers or sandals
- Appropriate boots
- Sunscreen and chap stick
- Insect repellent
- Medications for specific personal conditions (for allergic reactions, heart conditions, digestive disturbances, malaria prevention etc.)
- Calamine lotion or sunburn cream
- Sunglasses (ideally with carrying straps)
- Small personal first aid kit (aspirins, small bandages, rubbing alcohol,antibiotic cream, diarrhea medication, gauze pads and rolls of tape insect cream
- Plastic water bottle
- Personal toiletries (toothbrush, paste, soap, small towel, etc.)
- Small flashlight and extra batteries
- Camera, lenses, films, memory card
- Copy Biographic page of Passport
- Requisite Visas (Check with Respective Embassies).
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Card